top of page
On-Campus Employment 


International students are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. They are limited to twenty (20) hours per week (part-time) while classes are in session, and can be full-time when school is not in session or during an annual vacation.The work does not need to be related to their field of study and students may begin working as much as thirty (30) days before the start of a program of study.


Students may apply for open positions by submitting their resume to the Student Services Office at


Curricular Practical Training (CPT)


Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is temporary employment authorization that allows an international student to gain practical experience via an internship, work off-campus, or cooperative program that is directly related to the student's program of study. Learn More

Off-Campus Employment Based On Severe Economic Hardship

If you experience severe economic hardship because of unforeseen circumstances beyond your control, you may request employment authorization to work off-campus (if you meet certain regulatory requirements). See 8 CFR 214.2(f)(9). Learn More

Employment with an International Organization

As an F-1 student, you may work for a qualified international organization, as defined by the International Organization Immunities Act (59 Stat. 669). Learn More

Optional Practical Training (OPT) 


Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an student’s major area of study. Eligible students can apply to receive up to twelve (12) months of OPT employment authorization before completing their academic studies (pre-completion) and/or after completing their academic studies (post-completion). However, all periods of pre-completion OPT will be deducted from the available period of post-completion OPT. Learn More

STEM Optional Practical Training (STEM OPT)

Certain F-1 students who receive science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) degrees may apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion optional practical training (OPT). Learn More

Cap-Gap Extension

Although F-1 nonimmigrant students with degrees in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM) may apply for a 24-month extension of their post-completion OPT employment authorization, our policies regarding the cap-gap extension remain the same. An F-1 student who is the beneficiary of an H-1B petition and request for change of status that is filed on time may have his or her F-1 status and any current employment authorization extended until the first day (October 1) of the new fiscal year. Learn More 

bottom of page